A Great Joy

by Digitalnun on March 14, 2013

‘I announce to you a great joy: we have a pope.’ With these words, spoken in Latin, we learned that that the cardinal electors had completed their task and chosen the man who will lead and direct 1.2 billion of us as Bishop of Rome, 266th successor of St Peter and Vicar of Christ. The video footage from St Peter’s Square showed hundreds and hundreds of faces from all over the world, most of them young, waiting with great anticipation for that moment. When the pope finally appeared on the balcony, dressed in white but without the usual red mozetta, the joy was palpable. The significant choice of name, Francis, the beautiful gesture of bowing before the crowd and asking them to pray for him before he gave his blessing, the silence that accompanied the prayer, all these were reminders that the Church may not make much sense to those who don’t believe, but to those who do, it makes perfect sense.

We rejoice because we have a pope. Every single Catholic, whether Eastern Rite or Western Rite, whether attached to labels like liberal or conservative or utterly indifferent to them, rejoices because without a pope the Church is somehow incomplete. Each and every one of us has a personal connection to this man. At times that connection may be expressed negatively, but if so it will be with the negativity of family membership. For the moment, however, we are still absorbing the fact that we have a pope, and one whose experience ties him more to the southern hemisphere than to the northern. That will inevitably shock many who see the world through the lens of our Western preoccupations about sex and sit more lightly to the Church’s teaching about social justice.

During the next few days there will be many profiles of the pope and much media speculation about what he may or may not do. There is, however, one small fact about Pope Francis which will mean something to those who have any kind of respiratory difficulty. He effectively functions on one lung. Like the saint whose name he has taken, he bears within himself a secret pain, a physical limitation. As he begins his first full day in office, he knows that he must take on the task of rebuilding the Church with God’s strength, not his own. Let us pray for him.

How very well said, sister.

by Lorraine Canning on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 10:31 am. #

A surprisingly (for a non-catholic, anyway) emotive event. I find it amazing that he is the first Francis, it is such an obvious name for a Pope.

by Stan on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 11:51 am. #

I think I want to amend that – I was surprised that I found myself moved.

by Stan on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 11:58 am. #

Even Anglo-Catholics are rejoicing :) And, as ever, Il Papa will be in our public prayers.

On a personal note, I am delighted that His Holiness espouses the values of St Francis of Assisi. I am also delighted that his first ‘port of call’ was to Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome, and that he is a strong exponent of the Marian tradition. Both these elements are sorely needed in our ailing world.

May God pour out upon him, and us, richest blessing for the healing and Salvation of mankind.

by Rosy Cole on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 1:21 pm. #

Francis who ?
Assisi or more likely Xavier.
It doesn’t matter.
Both were extraordinary .
I hope he is.

by Alexander on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 5:15 pm. #

A great joy, indeed! Habemus papam! I was very moved by how he led the people to silence and then prayer, in the square and from around the world.

by Margaret Yo on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 5:21 pm. #

Amen!

by Kate on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 7:38 pm. #

I watched the white smoke and waited with baited breath to see who had been elected. I wasn’t disappointed.

The outpouring of Joy of the crowds and all was self-evident and I was impressed with Pope Francis’ humility as he asked to be prayed for and blessed by the Crowd and bowed his head for it, before giving his own blessing.

As an Anglican I prayed that his ministry might be blessed and that he brings our churches closer to unity – and I’m in hope that he is given the time and space to allow the Holy Spirit to work through him.

by UKViewer on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 8:14 pm. #

One of our commenters here compared the vigil for the ‘fumata bianca’ to Holy Saturday, a suspended time while God works in silence.

I was struck, today, by the mention of Pope Francis’ single working lug, because Pope John Paul I had the same secret pain and yesterday, after Pope Francis’ first words to Rome and the world many of us were strongly reminded of Pope Luciani.

by Marina Bonomi on Thursday, 14 March, 2013 at 9:50 pm. #

[…] And here’s a roundup of my own: video clips showing Catholic joy at the election of a new Pope. As iBenedictines says: […]

by Joyful Papist on Tuesday, 19 March, 2013 at 8:31 pm. #