Foundation Day 2012

by Digitalnun on September 6, 2012

Not so much a blog post, more a brief update on Howton Grove Priory. Today, the eighth anniversary of our canonical foundation, sees the blessing of the new monastery and the celebration of the first Mass in our oratory. I hope to get out a newsletter and some photos before the end of the week (tempting fate by saying that, I’m sure), as well as some overdue thank you letters and emails. Bro Duncan’s guest house has gone to a new home (much rejoicing in the monastic dovecote) and the bookcases in the calefactory are nearing completion so we’ll be able to unpack some of our books at last (even more rejoicing). The wasp nest under the eaves has been dealt with and some of the most rampant conifers will be removed from the garden during the next couple of weeks. There is some redecorating to be done inside the house where we have had some plasterwork renewed, but, by and large, we can say that the main work of moving in is now complete. All great blessings for which we give thanks; as we give thanks for our Oblates and Associates, and all our friends, living and dead, who have helped us over the years, often at considerable sacrifice to themselves. Please keep them in your prayers, and those who wish to join the community. The novitiate is formally opened today, and our first prospective postulant needs prayers as we try to resolve the remaining visa issues. After that, what is there to say except Deo Gratias.

Congratulations on this day. It took so much to get to this point. I hope it is a good day for the community. Best wishes to the person who will join you shortly. I hope the paperwork difficulty smooths out soon. At some point in the very near future, I hope you all find some time to rest and relax a bit. It must have been an exhausting journey at times.

by Meg on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 10:01 am. #

Warm congratulations to your Community (incl Brother Duncan).
You have been very busy but now you can see and end to the worst, so hopefully you will now get an opportunity for some down time. Looks like there wasn’t much of that during your recent retreat.

I wish you a wonderful day of celebration and will keep you in my prayer.

by Toolah on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 10:09 am. #

YES!!! Deo gratias.

by eric on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 10:34 am. #

Deo Gratias and congratulations indeed!

And thank you for sharing all the ups and downs with us. God is faithful and always delivers, though he seldom promises getting there will be easy. There’s a dragon to be slain!

Wishing you every possible blessing as new foundations are laid, I’m sure it will be a truly memorable day.

by Rosy Cole on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 12:04 pm. #

Deo Gratias indeed!

by Terry on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 5:19 pm. #

I am currently in the midst of relocation chaos, half my belongings in boxes, so many things to sort out, and a never ending stream of work and external demands on my time and emotional energy. Its nice to think back over your posts and think how simple my move is by comparison, and to be reminded that peace and normality will eventually be restored! Starting to think I might need a retreat of my own – much as I know God is always there, he isn’t getting much of a look in just now. :(

by Mikeala on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 5:54 pm. #

Came to this late, but really hope that the day was as you had hoped it would be.

Giving thanks for your foundation and your particular ministry of outreach here on the internet – it’s always a warm place to come and to be received.

I had a discussion once about God can’t be found on the internet, but if he can’t he is leaving interesting clues sign posting the way to him.

Deo Gratias indeed.

by UKViewer on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 8:35 pm. #

Thank you all for your good wishes and prayer (and special prayer for you, Mikeala as you undergo the process of ‘disestablishment). With today’s blessing our house has become a monastery, with God at its centre and everything consecrated to His service. ‘That in all things God may be glorified: Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus.’

by Digitalnun on Thursday, 6 September, 2012 at 9:25 pm. #