A Ray of Hope

by Digitalnun on May 23, 2012

Preparing to move is a tiresome business, especially when it means having to sort through hundreds of books damaged by damp and make painful decisions about what to try to rescue and what to abandon. It is a relief, therefore, to be able to spend a few moments dwelling on some of today’s news items. The possibility of a pre-emptive strike by Israel against Iran fills me with horror — do we realise what the consequences might be for all of us; the E.U. directive that depriving prisoners of the right to vote is an abuse of human rights suggests a confusion between human rights and civil rights — lazy thinking we cannot challenge at the polls; the IMF’s not-so-veiled exhortation to develop another plan for the economy simply leaves me flat and weary. But amid all this chuntering and gloom, I found something that made me rejoice, a ray of hope, and I found it on Twitter, courtesy of The Church Mouse.

The London Evening Standard has published an article about the mother of a murdered son selling family heirlooms to provide a better life for his killers. You can read it here, and as you do so reflect on the quality of forgiveness that Fatemah Golmakani is showing. It was not enough for her to forgive her son’s killers and bear them no animosity. She has taken the further step of selling things precious to her for their benefit and, possibly most difficult of all, decided that she will engage with them, mentoring them in the hope that their lives may change for the better. There is a lesson there for all of us.

Fatemah’s example is an inspiration that many might aspire to but few of us, I suspect, would ever achieve.

by Jim on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 at 11:33 am. #

I agree, but it does make one think about one’s own ‘forgiveness record’, doesn’t it?

by Digitalnun on Thursday, 24 May, 2012 at 7:47 am. #

Thank you for this amazing story. As you say it is a ray of hope. I too felt weighed down by the news this morning.

by Rosemary Stickland on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 at 4:31 pm. #

Hope is such an important element in our lives. Glad you found the story encouraging, too.

by Digitalnun on Thursday, 24 May, 2012 at 7:48 am. #

Perhaps it is something in the nature of an enclosed life that makes packing and moving seem tiresome – there is part of me that thinks that if I spent almost my entire life within one place, the opportunity to change location and scenery might be a welcome relief and an exciting change! That said, my work means I am constantly be on the move, so perhaps my perspective is shaped by this. I also find myself wondering – can you possibly all have as much to pack as those of us who collect far more material possessions than we need? Please excuse my impertinent curiosity!
I can empathise with your sentiments over the books, however. I have reluctantly decided that I am not to buy any more: When I last relocated, my ‘library’ filled more boxes than everything else I own together, and it takes too long to pack! I grieve a little when the pages get bashed in transit, let alone if they had succumbed to damp, and I hope you can save the best of the collection.
My best wishes as you go through the move: Exciting or tiresome, relocation is inevitably a bit stressful. I hope you can all settle into your new home soon.

by Mikeala on Wednesday, 23 May, 2012 at 10:14 pm. #

Thank you for making me laugh! Please have a look at our main website and you’ll see the reason for the merriment (which I hope you’ll share — nothing like a good laugh for cheering everyone up). As to the amount we have to pack, I daresay most people don’t have a chapel and its accoutrements plus seven years’ worth of legal, accounting and administrative paperwork for both a Charity and a business to include (cf Statute of Limitations), along with a library and archives, before we start on the personal or domestic stuff. Fortunately, as individuals, everything we have fits one small suitcase, but the rest is sometimes daunting. Clearing out, packing, praying the liturgy, keeping our online ministry/audio book service to the blind and visually impaired/web development business ticking over, looking after house and gardens (grass growing at an amazing rate . . .) and saying goodbyes is certainly filling our days.

by Digitalnun on Thursday, 24 May, 2012 at 8:01 am. #